Learn how to make Greek pita bread!
Greek pita bread is a really delicious fluffy bread! Most commonly you can eat it with greek souvlaki! It goes on the side with a lot of dishes or you can enjoy Greek pita bread with dips and spreads! This recipe for Greek pita bread is by Akis Petretzikis, who is the winner of the Greek TV show Master chef. He is one of the most famous chefs in Greece with his own TV show. In the video above you can whatch him prepare his delicious Greek pita bread!
Ingredients for your Greek pita bread
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 160 ml milk, at room temperature
- 80 ml water, at room temperature
- 320 g strong flour
- 1 teaspoon flower of salt
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + extra for brushing
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Method to cook your Greek pita bread
- Combine the sugar, yeast, water and milk in a bowl. Set the bowl aside for 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to froth.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, the salt and the chopped fresh thyme leaves and give it a mix to combine.
- Add the oil to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture in batches. Make sure each batch is incorporated before adding the next.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly floured working surface. Knead for 4-5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
- Brush a bowl with some oil and add the dough.
- Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 40 minutes, until it rises and doubles in size.
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Press on the dough to remove the air and cut into 6 equal sized pieces.
- Place pieces of dough on a lightly oiled working surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough to a circle 20 cm in diameter.
- Cook the pita bread for 1-2 minutes on each side in the pan, until they puff up slightly.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with chicken or pork gyro, sausages or vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped thyme.