This is the ultimate recipe for a traditional Greek tzatziki sauce! It goes perfectly with Greek gyros and if you want to taste a traditional Greek souvlaki, then this sauce is a must! It is a very appetizing, savory sauce that is almost always served with kebabs or souvlaki. It can also be served with baked potatoes, any meats and is surprisingly refreshing as a dip for vegetables!
The recipe is by Akis Petretzikis, who is one of the most famous chefs in Greece. He was also the winner of the Greek TV show “Master Chef”. In the video you can watch him prepare his delicious Greek tzatziki sauce!
Ingredients for Greek tzatziki sauce:
- 300 g Greek yogurt (strained yogurt)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/3 of a garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar for the cucumber
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ bunch dill, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Method to make Greek tzatziki sauce:
- Peel the cucumber and grate with a cheese grater, using the large blades.
- Put in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Toss and set aside to release its liquid.
- In the meantime, combine the yogurt, 1/3 of a garlic clove (minced), 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Mix until it is combined and creamy.
- Squeeze the cucumber with your hands to release any remaining liquid. Discard the liquid and add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture.
- Stir into mixture. Add pepper and adjust salt according to taste.
- Add some finely chopped dill and your sauce is ready.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Serve it with some carrots, peppers, cucumber and Greek pita bread!